Monday 4 June 2018

My onions are disappearing!

 So this is my onion bed...

The bloody bindweed on our plot is unbelievable. A friend came to help me clear some today as I was nearly in tears after finding the bed looking like this. I've only been away a few days and it's ended up like this!

She said she's never seen bindweed like it before... not a good sign.

It's a mixture of bindweed and the dreaded marestail in this bed, taking over the space for my onions. So I spent a good hour or two carefully removing as much of the roots as I could. I'm sure I haven't got it all, and it's sure enough going to come back but for now it looks tidier.
This is my smallest sprout planting some sugarsnap peas next to the beans. Sadly he put around 10 beans in the same place and refused to let me move them so I think I'll wait until the shoot up before moving them!

I did intend to plant 2 peas per stick but my little helper decided otherwise.

You can see behind him that the grass needs cutting again. We hope to do this in the next week or so as the weather is meant to be dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Growing, harvesting and storing Edamame (soya) beans

If anything at the plot has loved the long hot summer it has been the soya beans. They originate from Asia and can be seen on the menu of ...